Website Medical Evaluation Unit (MEU)
Name of Job Holder:
Job Title: Student Research Technician
Student Research Technician
Expenses in the region of £700pm (TBC)
The Medicines Evaluation Unit (MEU) is a rapidly expanding research facility conducting clinical trials and scientific research into respiratory conditions including asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). There are close links with the Airway Pharmacology Group in the University of Manchester, led by Professor Dave Singh.
The post holder will be responsible for performing physiological measurements and procedures with patient volunteers and/or assisting in the processing of biological samples.
The post-holder must have excellent organisational, communication and interpersonal skills, be able to work to tight deadlines and be a strong team player.
Starting between July and September 2022, 9 month fixed-term placement.
Closing Date: 3rd May 2022
Please send a cover letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assist with with care of trial volunteers and carrying out Clinical Trial Procedures
- To assist in collection and perform biological measurements and assays on human samples
- Assist with the preparation and administration of studies
- Assist with housekeeping and overall running of the research unit
- Responsibility of adherence to EU and UK Clinical Trials legislation and ICH GCP
- Health and Safety Responsibilities
- Clinical Trial Conduct Responsibilities
- Responsible for working on all MEU studies, attending study specific training
- Carry out clinical trial procedures e.g. Vital Signs, ECG’s etc in accordance with the study specific
- To perform physiological measurements / procedures on patients in the unit and make appropriate records.
- Where applicable perform basic physiological measurements e.g. spirometry and reversibility, impulse oscillometry, exhaled nitric oxide, induced sputum and allergy skin testing.
- Where applicable perform more complex measurements such as whole body plethysmography, transfer factor, bronchial challenges, exercise tests etc.
- Perform clear, comprehensive and accurate documentation of clinical trial procedures
- To undertake clinical procedure training/refresher training/study specific training and
keep up to date with related competencies to ensure on-going compliance.
- Assist with collection of samples (e.g. blood, urine etc) and their subsequent handling, documentation
and storage (e.g. centrifuge, pipetting, freezing, pregnancy testing etc.)
- Responsible checking of study medications with research nurses and for completing relevant documentation
- To assist in the supervision of volunteers/patients who are in attendance and monitor
study compliance e.g. maintaining dietary / smoking restrictions etc.
- Ensure a professional attitude is displayed towards volunteers and maintain confidentiality of subject information within and outside the work place.
- To report to the Nurse in charge / Physician of any adverse events reported by the patient or of any
other untoward occurrences
- To assist the Nurse / Dr with any emergency situations seeking appropriate help as required
- Assistance with preparation and administration of studies
- a) Prepare study supplies for patient visits e.g. patient visit packs, blood kits, worksheets etc.
- b) Assist in the collection and processing of data of patient/volunteer visits in case record forms/patient
files in accordance with Good Clinical Practice
- Prepare patient notes/paperwork for study monitor visits.
- Assist in completion and maintaining of study documents e.g., attendance records, logs, filing results etc.
- Assist with the receipt and logging in of general and study specific supplies
- Assist with dispensing, returns of drugs and appropriate documentation from MEU pharmacy and
also with collection of prescriptions from hospital pharmacy
- Assist the study lead on designated studies
- To be responsible for the recruitment of volunteers
- Obtaining a detailed and accurate medical history from potential volunteers in order to assess suitability for clinical trials.
- Ensuring that the internal ICARUS database is consistently updated pre and post study
- To be responsible for assessing suitability and for recruitment of patient/volunteers onto allocated studies in accordance with specific trial targets and timelines
- Ensure familiarity with MEU study protocols and assist in recruitment on other studies as and when necessary
- Promote identification of suitable subjects through assisting with database searches
- To be responsible for contacting potential subjects for studies, completing eligibility questionnaires and booking appointments using the diary system
- Processing GP and volunteer study letters using the correspondence system ensuring letters are sent out within specified time periods
- Coordinating volunteer and GP payments by checking payment amounts and producing cheques
- Responsible for preparing volunteer notes in preparation for the volunteers initial visit
- Coordinating the GP questionnaires process, monitoring scheduled dates for visits to ensure that GP questionnaires are returned within a specified timeframe (liaising with the GP practice when necessary)
- a) Responsible for patient’s general reception/hospitality /arranging volunteer transport.
- b) Responsible for general upkeep/tidiness of clinical areas, storage rooms dayroom, offices, etc
- c) Responsible for patient hospitality ensuring that volunteer’s needs are catered for during their stays
in the unit.
- d) Responsible for volunteer lounge facilities e.g. – magazines, papers, books, games available and
obtain feedback from volunteers regarding satisfaction of facilities.
- e) Responsible for liaising with other hospital departments for supplies e.g. Pharmacy, linen, CSSD.
- Ordering and preparation of meals according to the specific protocol ensuring that patient’s individual patient preferences are catered for.
Please send a cover letter and CV to: email@example.com
The cut-off date for applications is 3rd May 2022
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org